Installing server 2008 with active directory
1. Install Windows server 2008.
2. Install Virtual box guest additions.
3. Set static IP address
Control Panel\Network Connections – double click Local Area Connection, click properties, High lite Internet Protocol Version 4, click properties.
4. start / run / (type in) cmd type in ipconfig (press enter)
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Build Active Directory
5. start / run / (type in) cmd
6. type in dcpromo (press enter) C:\Users\Administrator>dcpromo
7. Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard will open.
8. (Don’t tick Use advanced mode installation) Click Next >
9. Operating System Compatibility Click Next >
10. Tick Create a new domain in a new forest Click Next >
11. FQDN of the forest root domain: = type any word in example TestAD.com Click Next >
12. Set Forest Function Level = Pull down to Windows Server 2008 Click Next >
13. Additional Domain Controller Options – Tick DNS server Click Next >
14. If you see This computer has dynamically assigned IP address – Click no, I will assign IP address to all physical network adapters. Go back to stage
3 and set a static IP address.
15. Active Directory Domain Services warning A delegation for this DNS server cannot be created. Click Next >
16. Location for Database, Logs Files, and SYSVOL. Click Next >
17. Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password. = add your password of choice. Click Next >
18. Summary. Click Next >
19. Wait for the Wizard to complete then. Click Finish. reboot.
Add client to AD
1. Build an XP machine add to same network by place a static IP address on and add the DNS IP as the Server 2008 IP address.
2. XP right click My Computers / properties.
3. Computer Name. Click change.
4. Click on domain and add your domain (Mine was called TestAD.com). Click OK
5. Computer Name Changes should open add your server 2008 username and password.
6. OK restart box.
Add users to AD
1. On server 2008 Start / Administrative Tools / Active Directory Users and Computers.
2. Maximize your domain tree and go into computers. Here you should see your added XP machine.
3. In Users you should see Administrator account.
4. Right click in users and Add new User. Add your user. Then test by trying to login to Windows XP machine with it. Remember to pull down the Log on to:
Your domain name.